Monday, October 26, 2009

Hold it together Sarah---an afternoon at the DMV

So I just want to start by saying that I knew it was going to be a trying day when I saw the hugest, (I know this is not a word, but it's appropriate.) Let me repeat, the HUGEST roaches EVER this morning!!! I haven't seen any since we've been back, and this was horrific. They were the length of my index finger, and black. I've never seen a black roach, but they exist...they didn't have wings though. I'm scared to see those, I hear those are the largest.

Today I was in hospital orientation, so I got out early and headed to the DMV to get my driver's license and plates. As some of you may have heard, this county is bankrupt, and many satellite locations are closed. This in turn, creates long lines when over a million people have to do business in only 4 locations.

So, my first stop is the driver's license place (which has no lines, ironically.) The lady makes me feel like scum of the earth because I don't have my social security card. I explain that I've just gotten married, have my marriage license and my passport, along with my current driver's license; but this is not enough. I must have my social security card with my married name. I'm seriously tearing up, telling myself to hold it together...I can't give her the satisfaction of making me cry.

I head on over to the license plate line. I wait in line for about an hour (which really isn't bad at all!) Have allllll papers I can think of with me. I get up there, tell the lady my situation, and she smuggly hands me a form with a fax number and tells me to have Toyota Financial fax the original title to them, and come back another day.

I was livid. You may be wondering why I didn't call to check on these requirements before? Well, let me tell you...I did. Constantly. And it was busy-every time, due to the overwhelming number of people they're trying to serve with the least amount of people working as possible.

I got home, and called Dave, bawling of course. (Good thing he knew I was emotional before he married me) I cried a few nights ago while trying to hang curtains, but that's another story within itself. Anyway...moral of story: Changing your name and moving to a new state at the same time is never a good idea.

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I have to go to the DMV for a new license tomorrow....I hope I have a better experience. Don't they have a website? I suppose that would cost money too. Bum deal moving to a bankrupt county. And, cockroaches? So gross. Better get at buying that dog! Can't wait to see updated pics of your house!

    ReplyDelete